We have Christmas Eve at my parent’s house every year. This year, everyone brought a soup to share. I needed mine to be migraine-free and gluten-free. I poked around on Pinterest, found a couple recipes, and combined them to make one of the best soups I’ve ever made.
I’ve made it three times now, and it’s still amazing. Even my two-year-old, who declared she did NOT like soup, gobbled it up.
There are no “cream of whatever” soups here! I stopped using those years ago. And now that I’m gluten-free, I couldn’t have them, even if I wanted to. The base of this soup is pureed cauliflower! I added a brick of cream cheese, because, why not? Just check the label to make sure it is free of MSG. If you see “carrageenan” on the label, set it down, and walk away.
- 1 Head of cauliflower, chopped
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped broccoli
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 6-8 cups broth or water, enough to cover the veggies
- seasonings to taste
- In a large pot, bring broth/water and cauliflower to a boil. Cook until cauliflower is fork tender.
- Put cauliflower and some of the cooking liquid into a bowl and puree with an immersion blender. You can also put them into your blender to puree.
- Cube the cream cheese and put in with the cauliflower. Let it sit for a few minutes to soften. Then puree again to incorporate the cream cheese.
- Put potatoes, carrots and broccoli into the pot and bring to a boil. Cook until tender. Transfer the veggies to the bowl with the cauliflower puree. Stir together, adding cooking liquid to desired consistency. Add any seasonings to taste.
- If you're not migraine or gluten free, you could crumble some cooked bacon on top, add shredded cheese or sour cream.